Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lost in the South ...

This past Christmas, I found myself back in the South again (some people don't know, but I spent my high school days in Spartanburg, SC :P and we would drive to Atlanta/Charlotte occasionally to eat ...).

So I flew into ATL (since it was much much cheaper), and we decided to eat at a Malaysian restaurant called Penang. To get a nostalgic taste close to home, so to speak. The restaurant is in a strip mall that looks rather run down on Buford highway.

I started with 'po pia', a type of steamed spring roll, filled with jicama, topped with some mildly spicy sauce.


We ordered the laksa, which is a typical singaporean dish. Except that it wasn't called Laksa in Malaysian apparently. The "laksa" dish on their menu is something else entirely but I just asked them for the Singaporean mee laksa and this is what they brought me, their "Curry Mee":

Not even close to what you find in Singapore, but it caresses that craving nonetheless :)

and then, this ... I had to order. The Indonesians should know what this is, Nasi Lemak ;)

Coconut rice flavored with cloves & screwpine leaves. Served with chili anchovy, curry chicken and fried egg.
Suddenly I'm super home sick ... :(

Penang
4897 Buford Hwy # 113
Chamblee, GA 30341
(770) 220-0308
www.penangatlanta.com

Penang on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Fea said...

... not only u make me hungry
u make me homesick tooo z__z

gourmetpigs said...

hehe sorry ... if it's any consolation, eating there made me homesick too ... :<

Gold Coast Hotels said...

I love curry! Chicken, fish or meat, anything as long as it is curry, I will surely love it!

gillian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.